The Battle of Somme, the deadliest battle of WWI in which over one million men were killed or wounded, started 100 years ago on July 1, 1916.
It lasted five months and was fought in France near the Somme River, about 125 miles from Verdun.
Here are some resources for reviewing the battle.
- BBC- iWonder: The Battle of the Somme: 141 days of horror
- BBC News: In pictures: Battle of the Somme
- NPR: A Century After The Battle Of The Somme, Europe Gathers To Honor The Fallen
- Smithsonian: World War I: 100 Years Later
- The Imperial War Museum:What Happened During The Battle Of The Somme?