Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade: Crash Course Black American History #1

Crash Course just launched a new series about American black history.  Some of the episodes are ideal for AP World History and on-level world history.  

Clint Smith, a scholar and writer, introduces the first episode about the transatlantic slave trade. He reviews the west African countries that provided the trade and discusses the impact of the triangular trade and middle passage occasionally quoting Olaudah Equiano and historian, Orlando Patterson.

The episode is both dramatic and engaging and an invaluable addition to world history classes.

Crash Course plans 50 episodes in the series. Here is a link to the introductory episode.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the write-up showcasing the Crash Course video on the Middle Passage. I just watched it with great interest. I am an intern working to get certification for teaching secondary history. I have been in world history and US History classrooms for my internship and can imagine that high school students found this video very enlightening. I’m curious what your experience has been with students when showing this and the follow-on videos

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting the video. I teach my seventh grade students about Africa during the Medieval Era and it directly leads into the start of the Slave Trade. Finding appropriate videos and materials I can present to students can be difficult at times, so this will be extremely helpful when I start the lesson in a few weeks. Do you have any videos on modern-day slavery by any chance?

-Catherine